Would you like your drawings to stand out in 2021? There is a lot of creativity that happens with a 3D drawing. You’ll need nothing but the best 3D pens to get 3D printer quality results.
Our Best Pick
Out of the options, the 3Doodler Create+ 3D Printing Pen was our best pick thanks to the comfortable design, durability, and ease of refiling the filament. Moreover, it comes with a guidebook and reliable customer service to handle your question.
|Features improved power, durability, and reliability for a superior doodling experience.
|Check at Amazon
MYNT3D Professional 3D Pen
|A large, OLED display lets you monitor the temperature of the material.
|Check at Amazon
3Doodler Start Essentials
|Designed with no hot parts, completely safe for kids aged 6+.
|Check at Amazon
MYNT3D Super 3D Pen
|Stepless speed slider lets you regulate flow for optimal control.
|Check at Amazon
|The new PRO+ is the essential, go-to 3D printing solution for professionals.
|Check at Amazon
SCRIB3D Advanced 3D Printing Pen
|Features LCD display with buttons for loading/unloading; 8 different speed options.
|Check at Amazon
SCRIB3D P1 3D Printing Pen
|The new SCRIB3D P1 3D Pen helps improve spatial thinking, creativity, and artistic skills.
|Check at Amazon
- Our Best Pick
- Comparison Chart
- 1. Best Pick – 3Doodler Create+ 3D Printing Pen
- 2. Runner-Up – MYNT3D with OLED Display
- 3. Best for Kids – 3Doodler Start Essentials
- 4. Budget Pick – MYNT3D Super 3D Pen [ABS and PLA Compatible]
- 5. High-End for Professionals – 3Doodler PRO+ 3D Printing Pen
- 6. Beginner Friendly – SCRIB3D Advanced 3D Printing Pen with Display
- 7. Best 3D Kit – SCRIB3D P1 3D Printing Pen
- Buying Guide for 3D Pens
- What Are the Considerations Before You Buy 3D Pens?
- Wireless and Wired 3D Pen
- The Type of Filament
- Check the Temperature Range and Adjustability
- The 3D Pen With Adjustable Speed
- The User’s Skill Level
- Removable Nozzle
- A 3D Pen With an Auto Shut Off Safety Feature
- Cooling Duration
- Extra Accessories of The 3D Pens
- Price of The 3D Printing Pen
- 1. What is a 3D pen?
- 2. How Do I Know a 3D Printing Pen is Child-friendly 3D?
- 3. Are The 3D Pens Worth The Purchase?
- 4. What Are The Main Accessories For a Full 3D Pen Kit?
- 5. How Do Beginners Use 3D Pens?
- 6. How Much Time Does it Take For a 3D Pen to Heat up?
- 7. What Surfaces Are Suitable For Use With The Best 3D Pen
- 8. What Does The 3D Printing Pen Stick to?
The market has plenty of 3D pens with unique features. We took hours of research to come up with the seven best 3D pens in this article.
1. Best Pick – 3Doodler Create+ 3D Printing Pen
The 3Doodler Create+ is a top favorite for teens, adults, and creators who value their 3D printer quality. The company improved power, durability, and reliability to enable you to doodle with ease.
The two-button settings work on a press to extrude and move the pen at slow or fast speeds, depending on your skill level and drawing. Luckily, the pen keeps the entire process steady, so you’ll not have irregular drawings like in standard pens on the market.
It has the latest technology with a fully built app that is compatible with iOS and Android systems, making it easy to work on tasks and share your work via social media. Additionally, the pen is easy to use where you’ll plugin, insert 3Doodler Create plastic, and wait for it to heat up and begin printing.
The pen comes with a detailed guidebook with 15 different colors of doodler plastic refills. You’ll also get free refills, filaments, and a stencil book.
Finally, the 3Doodler Create is safe and non-toxic and has wide compatibility with 3Doodler Create 3mm PLA, ABS, and Flexy Plastic only.
- It comes with different color plastic and a manual book for easy use
- Compatible with a variety of plastic types
- Very responsive customer care service
- Adopts the latest technology with an interactive app
- Safe plastic and good for teens, adults, and creators
- The pen filament gets cold inside, which makes it hard to clean
- Not recommended for kids under 12 years since it is delicate
2. Runner-Up – MYNT3D with OLED Display
A closer competitor to the Create + pen is the MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen, which brings your imagination into reality with professional printing. It has adjustable speeds, therefore you’ll determine the speed and flow of the plastic while drawing.
Unlike the standard pens on the market, this one features remarkable technology with an adjustable temperature with an interval of one-degree increment. Therefore, you get the optimal fine-tuning between 140-240 c, which will see you work with various plastics.
With the small ergonomic design, you’ll find the pen controls easy to reach and quick to maneuver. Better yet, this pen is USB-powered, so feel free to connect your power bank.
Additionally, the pen has a replaceable hot end. Therefore, when your pen’s hot rear is destroyed; you can easily replace it.
It is possible to achieve a wide variety of effects thanks to the large OLED screen that lets you monitor materials’ temperature.
Finally, the package items include three colors of ABS plastic filament A/C adapter and a slim, ergonomic touch pen.
- The pen has adjustable speeds for smooth and fast flow 3d printing
- Easy to monitor the temperature of materials due to the OLED screen feature
- Uses the latest technology to adjust temperature and lets you work with different materials
- Soft button for easy control
- You have a one year warranty to back up the purchase
- The temperature drop will restart to zero instead of continuing from where it stopped
- The USB adapter isn’t the best quality
3. Best for Kids – 3Doodler Start Essentials
Do you want to improve the creativity of your children? Well, look no further since the 3Doodler Start Essentials is a 3D pen made for kids. It is easy to use and perfect for boys and girls making it an excellent present for your kid. A safety feature is that the parts never get hot.
It constructs from high-quality PCL plastic, which is child friendly and perfect for helping your kid develop the best skills for 3d printing, planning, and building. Additionally, the 3Doodler Start app gives you a new experience with interactive features and easy-to-follow stencil section instructions.
Finally, this is a complete kit that comes with a 3Doodler Start 3D Pen, Doodle Pad, 2 Mixed-color Packs of Start plastics (48 Strands), Micro-USB Charger & Activity Guide. It also has a ton of creative potential, so children will love it more.
- The pen comes safe plastic hence secure for children
- It features an interactive app to help you work efficiently
- Has extrusion gears to deliver a smoother 3D printing pen experience
- Comes with plenty of accessories to make it ideal for kids
- The feed is thin and makes it difficult to pull out
- The pen is very slow and only suitable for children
4. Budget Pick – MYNT3D Super 3D Pen [ABS and PLA Compatible]
Are you on a budget but still want a 3D pen that will work for you? Search no further since the MYNT3D Super 3D Pen ABS and PLA Compatible is precise. The pen lets you control speed to regulate the flow of the materials for 3 d printing.
You’ll like the sealed ultrasonic nozzle that is nearly clog-proof, so you get remarkable durability. Additionally, the pen is compatible with ABS and PLA materials to improve your printing.
We also liked the super lightweight and small design with flat buttons for easy control. This makes it a super printing pen for children, artists, and engineers.
Finally, the complete package has the 3D pen, instruction manual, 3 rolls of ABS filament, USB cord, AC adapter, and repair tools. This allows you to get started and transform your usual 3d objects into breathtaking 3D works of art.
- The pen is simple to use and comes with ABS filament for improved prints
- ABS and PLA compatible
- The pen with plenty of accessories to begin your 3d printing
- Compatible with a variety of materials for great 3d printing
- The latest technology makes speeds are easy to regulate hence controlling the flow of the material
- The extruder leaks hence oozing strings like crazy
- The hidden temperature control button makes it hard to use
5. High-End for Professionals – 3Doodler PRO+ 3D Printing Pen
Are you a creative professional tired of the usual 3D printing pens? We recommend the top edition 3Doodler PRO+ 3D Printing Pen that is perfect for artists. It is the most advanced with speed setting and temperature controls, so you’ll work with a range of materials.
As an engineer, this 3D Doodle pen will help you communicate and illustrate in 3D fast and at a lower price. This versatile printing pen will see you apply and modify your ideas into a 3D print, unlike the rest.
The detailed controls are easy to reach for quick settings. Additionally, it has a built-in fan system, so you achieve superior performance over a range of materials due to the controls available.
Finally, the kit comes ready to use, and in the box, you’ll get a 3Doodler PRO+ 3D Pen, 3Doodler Mini Doodle Pad, Power Adapter, Nozzle Set, Unblocking object, 6 Packs of unique and a 3Doodler PRO Filament.
- The settings are advanced for artists
- Works well with a ton of materials for improved 3D prints
- It features a fan to cool the system during high temperatures for consistency
- Tactile speed and temperature control work perfectly for smooth 3d printing
- Will not work with children
- The process of extracting unused plastic is hard
6. Beginner Friendly – SCRIB3D Advanced 3D Printing Pen with Display
Are you starting on printing 3D pieces? We have the SCRIB3D Advanced 3D Printing Pen that will make your work easier. It features advanced features like variable speed controls and a large LCD screen for easy monitoring of the print.
The printing pen is sleek and ergonomic, so you’ll feel easy even after long hours of 3d printing. The buttons for temperature and speed adjusting are smooth, so you’ll find it easy to control the line thickness while drawing.
It is a beginner-friendly pen. Plugin and wait for two to three minutes, then start the 3d printing. You have instructions to ensure no wastage of filament and no spillage of materials during the drawing session. The guide is a safety feature, so ensure you follow it to the latter.
Additionally, the built-in safety features mean you’ll have a unit with anti-clogging making the 3d printing smooth and cleaning the pen thanks to the best technology.
Finally, the accessories that come in the package include 3 colors (15 meters) of PLA plastic, a power adapter, a systematic manual, and a free stencil guide, which means this is a ready-to-use kit.
- Comes with a step by step manual
- Large LCD screen for easy monitoring of temperature and speed
- It is safe with one year warranty to back your purchase
- Ergonomic design for comfortable use
- Comes as a ready to use kit with everything you need for your 3D printing
- Not easy to use, especially for children
7. Best 3D Kit – SCRIB3D P1 3D Printing Pen
You can now improve the quality of family time with the SCRIB3D P1 3D Printing Pen. It is good for boosting spatial thinking, creativity, and artistic skills. One feature that makes the pen exceptional is the steeples speed function, which works for speed control, helping you work on both slow and fast projects.
It is simple to use; plug the adapter, and choose your filament. When the indicator turns red, your pen is ready for the task. Note that the adjustable temperatures will make your pen work with different filament materials with temperature variations of 160- 455 degrees.
The premium ceramic nozzle and premium motor run without clogging, making it safe to meet your doodling demands.
This pen has a one-year warranty with remarkable customer care service. The package comes with 3 colors (15 meters) or 10 colors (60 meters) of PLA plastic, a power adapter, a systematic manual, and a free stencil guide that keeps you Doodling for ages.
- Adjustable temperatures to suit a variety of filaments
- The pen has a manual for step by step guide
- Great for all levels, including beginners and advanced users
- Has the speed settings for slow and quick drawing features an anti-clogging system
- Safe and arrives with a one year warranty
- The sides come from thin plastic, which snaps easily
Buying Guide for 3D Pens
What Are the Considerations Before You Buy 3D Pens?
In the 3D printing industry, before you buy a 3D pen, you’ll need to consider several factors. This will help you invest wisely. Below, we’ve shared the top factors you need to consider to see the value of your investment work for you. Check them out!
Wireless and Wired 3D Pen
The market has two types of 3D printing pens. You can choose one depending on the type of power used by the pen. We have the wired and wireless 3D printing pens. We have the 3D pens that work with a cable connected to a power source, while we have those that depend on a rechargeable battery. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
The wired types are steady and will not require recharge as they are connected to a direct power source. The wired 3D pens problem is that you’ll need to work next to the outlet or carry the power outlet with you.
Again, the cables tend to wear out easily, so you’ll have to buy new ones continuously. Lastly, the cord tends to be messy and will get into your way when printing. This limits your freedom.
You’ll have the freedom to work wherever you want with the wireless types as long as the device is fully charged. The wireless 3D pens allow you to focus on the print. However, you need to keep an eye on the battery status, as it will disrupt your work when printing.
The Type of Filament
The purpose of a 3D pen is to melt a -plastic filament and assists you come up with your patterns when designing. There are two main brands of filaments that 3D pens use. They include the ABS and PLA filaments.
Note that a few models are selective when using either of the ABS and PLA 3D filaments.
Luckily, the majority of the 3D pens use both ABS and PLA filament. Therefore, you’ll need to check and choose the model that uses both filaments to get the value as an artist.
Check the Temperature Range and Adjustability
What is the temperature range of the pen you want for printing? You need to observe the range and make a wise selection if you want to get more out of the 3D pen. Is the temperature range able to handle the type of filament on your 3D printer?
Occasionally, the PLA filament will require temperatures between 160-220 degrees to melt, while the ABS will have temperatures from 180 degrees to 250 degrees. It is essential to pick the right pen based on what you need for use.
If you want it for professional purposes, the higher temperatures are best; hence, ABS will suit you. Find a pen with an LCD screen to view the details easily.
Temperature adjustment on a 3D pen ranges between five to ten degrees, so you’ll tune it to get the best temperatures. Since not all 3D pens have this feature, you’ll need to be careful when making the buying decision, and if possible, you include the feature in deciding to buy the pen.
The 3D Pen With Adjustable Speed
Speed is crucial and will depend on the details you want for your prints. High speeds are incredible if you want to complete bulk in a short time, while the low speed will benefit if you are working on details.
Often, a 3D pen with the latest technology has three adjustable speeds that you can adjust to meet your demands. If you are a beginner or a kid, the slow speeds are great. If you are refining your print, then slow speeds will ensure you don’t miss the details.
Speed variation gives you control over the amount of plastic oozing out of the nozzle. You need to check the application before deciding on the type of speed you need for the print. Again, not all pens have a speed adjustability feature, which is crucial when buying the pen. Check if the 3d pen has the speed adjustment.
The User’s Skill Level
This is another crucial feature that you need to consider before you buy a 3D pen. Like the best 3d printers, the market has the best 3d pens for children, teens, adults, and all users’ levels. If you are buying it for your kids, then the most important features to check out include the temperature, speed, and manual.
The temperature for children should be low, and the speed should be slow. You can change the parameters on the LCD screen. This will ensure safety and give the kids ample time to enjoy drawing with the 3d pen.
You’ll need sophisticated pens with more features for intermediate and experienced users to ensure you have quality prints. Choose the right level to meet your demands.
One of the major problems with the best 3D pens is the nozzle. Mostly, it gets clogged and disrupts the performance of your best 3d pen. The market has 3D pens without removable nozzles, and we have those that come with removable nozzles.
With removable nozzles, it is easier to remove a clogged filament. This means you’ll use the pen more than once. However, the pens with non-removable nozzles will allow you to use the pen once.
If you want the best 3D printing pen that is economically viable, you’ll need a pen with a removable nozzle. It will serve you through several tasks.
A 3D Pen With an Auto Shut Off Safety Feature
This feature is about your safety and it’s very important, especially with children. When in use, the best 3D pen gets hot due to the ABS and PLA heating. Some go beyond 200 degrees, which is dangerous for kids. You’ll need a 3D printing pen with an auto-shutoff feature to stop heating when the 3d pen reaches the limit. This will keep children safe when using the 3D pen. Check for a company that invests in such details.
The best 3D pens are different. Depending on the materials used when constructing the pen, you’ll get varying cooling times. A good pen cools fast and lets you focus on other things once you complete your projects.
Check the LCD screen to monitor the temperature-cooling rate on your 3D pen.
Extra Accessories of The 3D Pens
It is essential to check in the 3D pen kit to ensure you have a full kit to get the outcomes like the 3D printers. This will save you from making extra purchases. Some of the key things you need in the box include the power adapter, ABS/PLA filament, metal spatula, step-by-step manual, LCD screen, and stencil guide. Before you buy the pen, check the company and find out if it included the features.
Price of The 3D Printing Pen
How much is your budget? Note that the market has all the 3d printing pens that can meet your price demands. Check the requirements and invest according to the features you get from your best 3D pen. Note that some products will be expensive while giving you standard results. This is where you need to research to gain insight into the best products before settling on the best price.
1. What is a 3D pen?
A 3D pen is an object designed to take in plastic and melt it, then ooze it out for drawing 3D prints. You need to feed hard plastic into the Pen and melt it. After that, the melted filament extrudes a thin string of hot plastic. You can craft 3D art, game pieces, and links damaged plastic accessories like the phone parts with the plastic.
2. How Do I Know a 3D Printing Pen is Child-friendly 3D?
First, child-friendly 3D pens are easy to operate, and most of them come ready for use. The pens have a simple speed setting with the slow mode dominating to suit a child learning the new skills.
Additionally, the child-friendly pen will comprise safe plastic construction to prevent harm when in use. Notably, the child-friendly pens run at low temperatures, and the PLA will be ideal for child-friendly temperatures.
3. Are The 3D Pens Worth The Purchase?
Yes, the best 3D pen brands that offer exceptional quality are worth your purchase. This means you’ll need to do in-depth research to narrow it down to a pen that will help you get remarkable prints at an affordable price.
4. What Are The Main Accessories For a Full 3D Pen Kit?
A full kit should have a 3D pen, filaments, power adapter, manual, and stencil guide for an easy start. Check the box to ensure there is no missing object.
5. How Do Beginners Use 3D Pens?
Beginners will require beginner-friendly 3D pens for the task. These have slow speeds and low temperatures.
This means it will take a longer time to get started. Here are the three steps to help you get started:
- Plugin your 3D pen and set the temperature according to your choice of plastic for use
- Insert the plastic and push back until you feel a little click
- Click and doodle, then select on the fast or slow button on the 3D pen, then push down the surface and doodle for an easy start.
6. How Much Time Does it Take For a 3D Pen to Heat up?
The length depends on the materials used and the surface ready to use with the plastic from the tip. For instance, you’ll get the best 3D pens that heat for one minute, and the indicator turns from red to blue. This shows that it is ready for 3D printing.
7. What Surfaces Are Suitable For Use With The Best 3D Pen
The plastic materials attach to most surfaces, including wood, glass, metal, and other fabrics. Make sure you have the right temperature of the materials you want to use with the 3d pen. You can read about the right temperature from the 3D printing pen manufacturer to get it right when heating the surface and tip.
8. What Does The 3D Printing Pen Stick to?
When you heat the tip of the 3D printing pen, the melted plastic oozes out, and it sticks to the other materials. Commonly, the best surfaces are thermoplastics, such that the heat from the tip also melts the surface to ensure smooth fusion and firm sticking after drying.
Now that you’ve gone through the best 3D pens, you can invest knowing your target pen has all the features to deliver the best 3D prints. We spent hours researching hundreds of products and narrowed it down to the top seven reviews in this article.
We highlighted some of the things that include the quality of the 3D printing pen, suitability, technology, and price, hence perfect for 3D printing enthusiasts.
You can go ahead, buy one 3D printing pen for artistry or even family fun, and see the outcomes. Let us know how the pen you picked is working for you. If you have concerns, leave a reply, and we’ll guide you through.